The full day of rain that we had the other day paid off a little in the vegetable garden. We’ve been eating cucumbers, grape tomatoes and field tomatoes, potatoes, zucchini and onions. And the peaches are out at the farmer’s markets. I bought a basket on Sunday, and we tried them grilled with ice cream when the in-laws came over for dinner on Sunday night.
This is the salad that we had with our dinner that night (and again tonight). I don’t measure anything, so I guessed on the measurements, but this is pretty basic. It’s nice and crisp, sweet and tart at the same time and full of lots of flavour, if you are using fresh from the garden vegetables and basil:
Cucumber, Tomato and Basil Salad
- 2 or 3 cucumbers, seeds removed, sliced
- a couple of handfuls of grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ small red onion, sliced very thin
- 1 clove garlic chopped very fine
- handful of basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Toss all ingredients together in a bowl. Serve immediately, or slightly chilled.